On Tuesday March 8, Her Majesty Queen Máxima of The Netherlands attended a panel discussion It’s Banking But Not As We Know It. Values-based Banking At a Crossroads, during the eighth Annual Meeting of the Global Alliance for Banking Values (GABV) hosted by Triodos Bank in Zeist.
The event focused on the impact of technological developments and innovation in banking. Queen Máxima attended the event in her capacity of United Nations Secretary-General’s Special Advocate for Inclusive Finance for Development (UNSGSA). Her majesty is a leading global champion and spokesperson for the essential role of financial services in alleviating poverty, fostering equitable economic growth, and furthering diverse development goals including environmental sustainability, food security, clean water, good health and universal education.
The GABV returned to The Netherlands for the first time since the foundation of the not-for-profit alliance of banks, banking cooperative community development banks and microfinance institutions, in 2009. CEOs and experts from 28 member banks will meet and collaborate on how to build a growing, global, #BankingOnValues movement by using their people, capital and resources to create positive impact.
Queen Máxima was present in 2009 at the establishment of the Global Alliance for Banking Values at Triodos Bank. At that time, the network consisted of 11 international banks.
More about the GABV Annual Meeting special event
The banking system is experiencing a period of unprecedented and profound change. While the future is uncertain, the power of new disruptive technologies, the challenges of increasing regulation, and the convergence of social and environmental crises, mean continuing to do the same thing in the same ways is no longer an option. The role of banks will change. The level of social inclusion, environmental resilience and economic development achieved by finance activities will be a significant building block for the license to operate. And it will likely change the business model of banks completely. CEOs from the world’s leading sustainable banks, united in the Global Alliance for Banking on Values, came together in Amsterdam from 8-10 March 2016 to meet some of Europe’s creative and entrepreneurial thinkers to discuss how to harness these developments and how banks can support building a more socially equitable, low carbon/climate friendly economy.
More about the GABV
The Global Alliance for Banking on Values (GABV) is a network of banking leaders from around the world committed to advancing positive change in the banking sector. Our collective goal is to change the banking system so that it is more transparent, supports economic, social and environmental sustainability, and is composed of a diverse range of banking institutions serving the real economy.
Download the GABV Annual Meeting programme.
The GABV2020 Strategy
The Photo Gallery
View the professional photos on Flickr.
View the videos featured at the GABV Annual Meeting.
- GABV Annual Meeting 2016: Highlights. View
- It’s Banking But Not as We Know It (Public Event). View
- Triodos Bank Innovation Showcase (Triodos Bank, Zeist) James Vaccaro (Triodos Bank, UK), Mikel Garcia (Triodos Foundation, Spain), Dan Hird (Triodos Bank, UK), Anne Marie de Blieck (Triodos Bank, The Netherlands)
- Innovation and Impact: The Next Generation of #BankingOnValues Frank Elderson (De Nederlandsche Bank), Thomas Rau (Turntoo and RAU Architects), Tamara Vrooman (Vancity), Jesse Fripp (Aga Khan Agency for Microfinance)
- Jeroen Dijsselblowm, Minister of Finance, The Netherlands (Opening Speech). View
- Looking Back, Looking Forward (GABV2020 Plan). Marcos Eguiguren, Executive Director, GABV. View
- Launch of ‘Just Money’ Massive Open Online Course. Katrin Kaeufer, Leadership Academy and Human Capital Senior Adviser, GABV. View
- Annual General/Members’ Meeting. View.
- Return of the Banking Jedi! (Celebrating Co-workers). View
The GABV Communications Tool Kit.
The Social Media Coverage
The 2016 GABV Annual Meeting was brought to life on social media. View the Storify sumary.
The Media Coverage
- Banks Want to Connect More Customers to Sustainable Banking (in English, original in Dutch). Courtesy of Duurzaam
- Queen Maxima helps banks consider alternatives (in Dutch). Courtesy of AD Dagblad
- Queen Maxima and Sustainable Banking (in Dutch). Courtesy of Brabants Dagblad
- Queen Maxima and Sustainable Banking (in Dutch). Courtesy of BN de Stem
- Queen Máxima at the “Global Alliance for Banking Values” Meeting. Courtesy of The Royal Forums
- Queen Maxima attends the meeting of the GABV. Courtesy of FollowNews
- Queen Maxima at the 8th GABV Meeting hosted by Triodos Bank in Zeist (in French). Courtesy of Princess Monarchy
- Queen of The Netherlands at the GABV Annual Meeting (in Dutch). Courtesy of Het Koninklijk Huis
- Queen Máxima joins Global Alliance for Banking Values’ panel discussion (in Dutch). Courtesy of De Oranjes
- Queen Maxima attends the meeting of the GABV courtesy of New My Royals
- Queen Maxima in Zeist for the GABV Meeting (in Dutch). Courtesy of Triodos Bank