|Key figures Impact story|
Cooperativa Abaco’s purpose as an organization and promise to members, employees and communities is to contribute to and improve their welfare with flexible and customizable financial solutions, working for the common good, focusing on sustainable development. The vision of Cooperative Abaco is to be recognized as the best financial solution for their members.
Cooperativa Abaco was founded on 28 October 1981 by a group of 32 friends in Lima, Peru.
From the very start, Cooperativa Abaco did things differently improving its institutional image, developing products credits and savings adapted to their members’ needs, creating a unit to attend members across the country, receiving specials awards and becoming as strong as a bank could be.
- In 2008, Cooperativa Abaco signed an agreement of technical cooperation with IDB – FOMIN, Multilateral Investment Fund Member of the IDB Group (Inter-American Development Bank), called Project of Institutional Strengthening ABACO – IDB – FOMIN to financial small producers by intermediaries across the country.
- In 2009 Cooperativa Abaco inaugurated the new headquarters with the construction of Torre Abaco in Lima financial center.
- In 2011 for the very first time in Peru a risk rating company evaluates a credit union. Abaco obtained “B-“ in financial stability. But in 2014 the financial stability was improved from “B-” to “B”.
- In 2013 a new project called “Cooperative Model for Rural Financial Innovation” was presented and signed with IDB to continue financial expand to small producers in Peru.
- In 2015, Cooperativa Abaco’s first funding is achieved with CAF (Development Bank of Latin America) a multilateral institution. Also, financial stability “B” is ratified.
- In 2016, Cooperativa Abaco’s second funding with a multilateral institution is achieved. In this time was with IDB. Also, financial stability “B” is ratified.
- Miguel Hatada, Chairman of the Board of Directors
- Jose Claros, Chief Executive Officer
Market Focus, Products and Services
Cooperativa Abaco focuses on providing financial solutions to help the growth of their associates. We are an institution that believes strongly in cooperation and mutual help as the main motivators to help and improve the quality of life in our community. In our portfolio, we offer products like savings accounts and loans created specifically to answer the needs of our customers.
Cooperativa Abaco offers products that fit the conditions of the members of the cooperative and can help sustainably of the community where we operate.
Being Part of the GABV
“We feel grateful for being part of a global community that cares not only about financial income but about the social, environmental and growth of its customers. We are also excited to learn from the other member institutions how to generate positive impacts through the services that they offer.”