|Key figures Impact story Impact story|
To build a profitable and socially responsible financial institution focused on market and business with growth potential, thereby assisting BRAC and stakeholders build a ‘just, enlightened, healthy, democratic and poverty-free Bangladesh.’
- BRAC works with people whose lives are dominated by extreme poverty, illiteracy, disease and other disadvantages. With a holistic approach, BRAC strives to bring about positive changes in the quality of life of the poor. BRAC’s Microfinance Programme works to ensure the economic sustainability of the poor by making available credit which they can invest in productive activity and also encouraging them to save.
- BRAC Bank’s mission:
- Sustained growth in ‘Small & Medium Enterprise’ sector;
- Continuous low-cost deposit growth with controlled growth in Retail Assets;
- Corporate Assets to be funded through self-liability mobilisation. Growth in Assets through syndications and investment in faster growing sectors;
- Continuous endeavor to increase non-funded income;
- Keep Debt Charges at 2% to maintain a steady profitable growth;
- Achieve efficient synergies between the bank’s branches. SME unit offices and BRAC field offices for delivery of Remittance and Bank’s other products and services;
- Manage various lines of business in a fully controlled environment with no compromise on service quality;
- Keep a diverse, far flung team fully motivated and driven towards materialising the bank’s vision into reality.
- BRAC’s Microfinance (MF) Programme was launched in 1974 to encourage the increase of income for the poor through the setting up and expansion of income generating activities and micro-enterprises. BRAC continues to play a pioneering role in providing diversified financial services to serve different segments of the population who lack access to saving and credits provided by financial institutions. In 2008, BRAC’s MF Programme increased its member base to more than 8 million, with a cumulative disbursement of nearly USD 6 billion.
- BRAC Bank Limited, with institutional shareholdings by BRAC, International Finance Corporation (IFC) and Shorecap International, has been the fastest growing bank from 2004 to 2007. The bank operates under a ‘double bottom line’ agenda where profit and social responsibility go hand in hand as it strives towards a poverty-free, enlightened Bangladesh.
As a fully operational commercial bank, BRAC Bank focuses on pursuing unexplored market niches in the small and medium-sized enterprise business sectors, which has remained largely untapped within the country. Since inception in 2001, with 154 branches, 400 SME unit offices, more than 300 ATMs, 30 cash deposit machines and more than 1,800 remittance delivery points BRAC Bank is one of the country’s fastest growing banks. The bank has already proved to be the largest SME financier in just 11 years of operation and continues to broaden its horizon into SME, retail and corporate banking. Customer service and staff development towards delivering global standard service remains this year’s priority.
BRAC’s Microfinance Programme, is one part of BRAC’s holistic approach to development, which comprises a range of interventions in health, education, environment and social and economic development. The Microfinance Programme, together with the Ultra Poor and Agriculture programmes make up BRAC’s Economic Development Programme.
BRAC offers additional services to ensure the success of its borrowers’ enterprises. These include backward linkage services such as training on improved techniques and provision of improved breeds and technology, as well as forward linkages, such as storage facilities to produce and market finished goods. A number of commercial ventures have been set up by BRAC to create these strategic linkages. In addition to protecting its borrowers, these ventures have also contributed towards making the organisation self-sustaining, with profits diverted to back into its poverty alleviation programmes.
BRAC Bank has 50% institutional shareholders such as BRAC (33.51%), International Finance Corporation (9.5%) and Shore Cap International (6.99%). Since early 2007, the remaining halves of its shares have been distributed to the general public and mutual funds through its IPO on the Dhaka and Chittagong Stock Exchanges.
Board of Management
- Fazle Hasan Abed, Chair, BRAC
- Mahabub Hossain, Executive Director, BRAC
- Muhammad A. (Rumee) Ali, Managing Director, BRAC Enterprises
- Md. Aminul Alam, Executive Director, BRAC Overseas Program
- AMR Chowdhury, Deputy Executive Director
- Imran Matin, Deputy Executive Director, BRAC Overseas Program
Board of Management of BRAC Bank
- Shib Narayan Kairy, Director
- Tamara Hasan Abed, Director
- Nihad Kabir, Director (Independent)
- Dr. Hafiz G.A. Siddiqi, Director
- Zahida Ispahani, Director
- Syed Mahbubur Rahman, Managing Director & CEO
Market Focus, Products and Services
BRAC’s Microfinance Programme works to provide collateral-free financing to the poor, especially women, in both rural and urban areas, in a simple, efficient, and affordable manner. BRAC MF Programme offers two different microfinance products: micro-loans (group-based, exclusively for women) and micro-enterprise loans (individual loans for both men and women). Group-based small loans are particularly designed for the lower-end poor to assist them in undertaking income generating activities. Micro-enterprise loans are available for small entrepreneurs to offer scope for expanding their business and capital base.
Moreover, BRAC utilizes a credit-plus approach where loans are accompanied by various forms of assistance for the borrowers. An important part of the credit operation is the collection of savings. Savings opportunities with BRAC provide members with funds for consumption, children’s education and other investments. It also provides security for old age and serves as a contingency fund during natural disasters.
A fully operational commercial bank, BRAC Bank offers a wide range of banking products to SME, retail and corporate clients. The bank has its primary focus on service quality and customer satisfaction. Through a team of over 8,000 employees, BRAC Bank offers a broad range of products and services to more than 1.2 million customers.